Techniques for Accelerated Team Building using Martial Arts and Dance
Teaching your body to move in different ways can be an invigorating, insightful and empowering experience.
In my work as a dance company leader and martial arts instructor, I've been challenged to build highly focused creative teams quickly, and help people learn and apply complex new skills at an accelerated pace. In these movement-based environments, we're often given specific reasons for learning, refining and demonstrating specific techniques. Even though the end result of a dance lesson or martial arts sparring class is much different than most of our daily goals, several lessons we learn from these situations can be applied to "real world" work teams to improve overall team performance and communication.
I've generalized some ideas from my teaching experiences so they apply to our real world work environments. In this session, I'll share ideas for accelerated team building, using some fun group activities. Following each activity, we'll pause to reflect on what we've learned and how we can apply our new-found skills to other situations.
Be prepared to move around!
Outline/structure of the Session
Introduction and Overview of Session and Games
Each "Game" will be split into 4 sections:
- Demonstration of basic dance and/or martial arts technique / activity
- Individual practice of technique / activity
- Application in group setting.
- Discussion on how lessons can be related to real world work groups.
At the end of session, we will summarize takeaway points, and how we can use them to improve communication and production in our work environments.
By the end of this session, you will know:
- techniques for accelerated team building
- how to use these techniques with your work team
- how to approach your daily responsibilities with more confidence