The Enterprise Experiment!
Ever wondered what it's like to experiment in Agile? Ever thought when you started to scale Agile, you would get it right first time? Ever thought Agile adoption is full of experiments? We did! This session explores real world learning and observations when attempting to mature organisations from single team project based Agile to a Scaled Agile framework.
This will be a fun and interactive session where will be using live experiments that highlight the purpose, result and our observations. Each experiment, as any Agilist would attest to, creates more unanswered questions, additional problems to solve and more opportunities to try out new hypotheses.
Outline/structure of the Session
We have run similar sessions (with great reviews) at:
- Agile Australia 2013: http://www.agileaustralia.com.au/topics.php#Mike-Pollard
- Agile Perth Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Agile-Perth/events/122315852/
- Testwest: http://www.bankwest.com.au/testwest
We run live experiments on stage with audience participations and props that illustrate the observations that we have seen as we have helped organisations adopt agile at the Enterprise level. We talk about the premise that everything we do as we scale agile is an experiment.
In a 45 minute session we would expect to run 3 or 4 experiments.
We use limited slides, here is what we used at Agile Australia: http://www.agileaustralia.com.au/preso/Agile-Aus-2013-Day-2_Mike-Pollard-Simon-Reason.pdf
Just like us, you might not get it right first time, but you will be able to leave the room with real world observations whilst experimenting in Scaled Agile.
Discover the organisational dysfunctions that have surfaced from our experiments and how we go about tackling these problems. For example,
- What results do we get in the Enterprise as we experiment in working closer with our customers?
- What dysfunctions do we uncover as we run experiments to maximize outcome rather than delivery?
- What impediments emerged as we ran experiments to deliver the highest value across the Enterprise?
Use our sharing as input into creating your own Scaled Agile Enterprise experiments.
And remember, no matter how simple and common sense your hypothesis is, be prepared to find multiple organisational impediments that you will have to address!
This session is targeted at those just about to, or those that are experimenting in scaling in Agile.