Applying Gamification Techniques in Agile
- One of the world’s largest legal product & services provider.
- Development and global rollout of online legal research product for law firms to efficiently provide online research and analytical capabilities.
- Several hundred million dollar product revenue
- 400 Team size.
- Product Development and subsequent enhancement and support.
- Stringent Timelines
- Most of the team new to agile
- 4 Timezones
Key Challenges on "people" front:
- Scale up the team to use agile in short time frame
- Engage and motivate the team
- Be a true vendor partner with the customer
Industry analysts predict rapid adoption of gamification. By 2014, more than 70% of Global 2000 organizations will have at least one gamified application, according to Gartner, Inc. In this presentation, we would be focusing on how gamification helped us adddress the above challenges. Concept of “gamification” was used to drive the team to embrace agile and improve employee engagement and motivation. This helped further boost the quality and increase the overall customer satisfaction across sprints and releases.
Outline/structure of the Session
5 min - What is Gamification
15 min - Challenges seen in the engagement while adopting agile
15 min - How Gamification addressed these challenges
10 min - Q & A
This was presented at the recently concluded Agile Pune 2014 conference. Deck is @ http://www.slideshare.net/arcjoshi/agile-pune-2014-gamification-techniques-for-agile
An already published paper on this concept is provided in the link http://www.cognizant.com/InsightsWhitepapers/Using-Gamification-to-Build-a-Passionate-and-Quality-Driven-Software-Development-Team.pdf
1. Using non-monetary techniques to motivate and engage team
2. Use gamification for reducing technical debt, focus on innovation
Scrum Masters, Agile Coaches, Agile Program Managers