The Challenges of an Offshore Agile Coach in a Large Scale Agile Transformation across Distributed teams.
We represent the Agile Center of Excellence at our organization and are chartered to drive the change management initiative to imbibe Agile adoption across the enterprise.
As part of this initiative we have partnered with various customers on the large Agile transformation journey. As part of this journey scaling across distributed team becomes one of the most critical factors for the success of this transformation.
We plan to share our experience on how critical it is for such transformation to get the perspective of outsourced teams and imbibing their need as part of the overall roadmap.
This brings into picture the critical role that is played by the set of offshore Agile Transformation Office which will drive the change charter at offshore in alignment with the overall transformation roadmap:
- Aligning Agile Maturity :
Align with the client organization on definition and implementation plan for Agile Maturity Framework, Transformation roadmap, Governance and Change Management of the offshore teams across various partners
- Competency Enablement:
Ensuring common competency enablement for distributed teams and senior leadership across various partners to drive common Agility charter.
- Agile Transformation Change Agent:
Realignment of internal People, Processes and technology to support the transformation
- Continuous Improvement and Sustainability of Agile Maturity:
Ingrain the sustainability model across teams for the achieved Agile Maturity and continuously improve upon that.
Based on above charter we would like to share following challenges faced by the Offshore Coaches and the approaches taken by them to identify the enablers to resolve the same:
- Team Landscape: Multiple types of geographically separated teams (Onshore Centric, Offshore Centric, Near shore and Equally Distributed) and the associated challenges.
- Release based coaching approach to improve the maturity of 130+ scrum teams across 5 LOBs and 20+ Release Trains, continuously improve and sustain the same.
- Alignment to industry renowned scaling framework and the initial hurdles to implement it across location to derive the end business goal. Challenges around collaboration and infrastructure enablement across platform centric teams to enable them into Value Stream based approach.
- Common Coaching Methodology across the geographical distributed teams to ensure the uniformity of Agile execution and associated challenges i.e. Pair Coaching
- Behavioral Coaching i.e. One team coaching for the entire set of team across locations
- Coaching focused on the DevOps
Outline/Structure of the Experience Report
- Background of the overall landscape of Agile transformation across distributed teams and partners [5 mins]
- Alignment of offshore Agile Transformation Office[ATO] with the overall transformation roadmap [5mins]
- Challenges witnessed on the ground by the satelite teams on this journey [15 mins]
- Initiatives by the ATO to create enablers for the various challenges witnessed from the offshore perspective [25 mins]
- Team structure alignment across distributed teams and partners,
- Competency enablement on Agile, behavioral, technology cross skillling, tools, engineering practices and scaling framework. Using gamification concept to enable various roles.
- Organization Change Management: move from "Pyramid" to "hour glass" structure, roles and G&O realignment, Career framework.
- Visibility of distributed team to the end business goal rather than focus limited at the task level.
- Alignment of Coaching methodology, Maturity framework, Contract alignment and Change Management.
- Governance and measurements across teams, programs and enterprise levels.
- Agile transformation journey on Agile Adoption and achieving sustainable maturity, continuously improving on the same.
- Tools and Practices:
- Agile floor infrastructure across satellite teams, accessibility to the engineering frameworks, collaboration infra availability of right equipment.
We plan to share our experience on HOW we went about implementing large scale Agile Transformation and initiatives to drive Agility across the various CHALLENGES mentioned below:
- People: Component-based Team distribution across various partners, re-alignment of roles, career path defined in the traditional way-of-working, individual recognition over team rewards, Agile and core competency enablement and offshore part of the teams working in silos.
- Process: Offshore coaches disconnected from the overall transformation approach, Visibility of Product vision and Release roadmap, mechanism for impediment resolution, effectiveness of Scrum Process, Time Zone alignment, offshore participation in Community of Practices
- Technology: Infrastructure of offshore teams, accessibility to the technology framework, collaboration issues due to unavailability of right equipment and Low engineering focus.
Anyone on its Enterprise Agile Transformation journey; Agile Coaches; Scrum Masters; Product Owners
schedule Submitted 4 years ago
People who liked this proposal, also liked:
Ramaswamy Lakshminarasimhaiah - Agile implementation in projects involving SAPRamaswamy LakshminarasimhaiahSr. ManagerWipro Technologies Limited
schedule 4 years agoSold Out!
Implementation of SAP projects are possible in Agile way. But it is not that straight though. It requires adopting a little different approach, to be successful in Agile. This session attempts to build on the experience gained in the implementation of SAP projects following Agile. The session deals about the challenges faced and the solutions provided during different phases of Agile implementation. The presenter wants to share his experience on the implementation of SAP projects, following Agile.