Coping with burnoutGaurav Chaturvedi
schedule 1 year agoSold Out!
The objective of this talk would be to help identify the symptoms and few tips on coping with burnout.
Burnout is a widespread problem in devops profession. Specially in the startup ecosystem. I’d like to highlight the symptoms by giving a personal account of what I felt while going through different phases of burnout.
Hence also provide remediation tips, on how to handle this situation.
Burnout and Recovery
What are we going to talk about?
What is a burnout?
How can you recognize it?
How can you address burnout?
What is a Burnout?
a psychological term that refers to long-term exhaustion and diminished interest in work
S. Tracy says:
a general wearing out or alienation from the pressures of work
Why do people Burnout?
- Taking on too much
- Deriving too much validation from our work
- Feeling like we are the only one who can do $THING
- Living the bus factor
- Caring about our work and community
Common Symptoms of Burnout:
- Dreading work they once loved
- Arguing over points that are insignificant
- Over Amplifying simple disagreements
- Being unwilling to delegate
- Being the only one who ever volunteers
- Talk about your situation with the right folks (good friends, people who have been there)
- Ask for help with your tasks early and often
- Do something else for a while
- Mentor others who can help if bus factor is low
- Be willing to walk away
Addressing Burnout (help a friend)
- Keep an eye out for the situation
- Talk about your situation with the right folks (This is your friend first!)
- Grow your community proactively
- Offer to help with tasks or find another resource
- Interventions are sometimes needed
- Burnout is common
- It’s OK to feel burnt out - be honest about your limits
- It’s OK to ask folks to step down if they’re burnt out and not able to continue effectively
- Stepping away early means you’re more likely to have energy to return later!