We did DevOps with rsync and shell commands!!
With pressure for speed and agility, we seem to forget the original vision of DevOps (more collaborative culture to bridge the gap between IT and Dev) and instead get carried away by different tools. Its sad to see that instead of focusing on individuals and interactions, teams spend considerable amount of time learning tools and working in isolation or hiring people, who only how to use tools. DevOps is NOT just about automation. Automation is a by product.
In this experience report, I would share the story of an organisation, who built successful DevOps culture but did not use any fancy tools. In fact we simply used rsync and CI using basic shell commands for our deployments. I'm hoping this experience would help new techies to take some time off to understand the importance of CULTURE and STRUCTURE instead of focusing on just TOOLING aspect of it.
Outline/structure of the Session
- General approach towards DevOps
- DevOps and agile
- Identifying need for skills
- Do tools always help?
- Choosing the right thing(People and Tools)
- Plan for long term
- Principles to follow for successful DevOps
- Why investing in people/culture rather than just tools is important
- How we set up the right culture for DevOps
- Know when do you need to scale up your team
- Know how to get structure right for DevOps
Startup Founders, People hiring for DevOps, Managers, Developers, Architects, Mentors