Application of Design thinking principles for mature software like Java Virtual Machine
Time was, when the decision to buy a piece of software was made by the head of IT, and the vendor with the longest list of features usually won. Considerations of the actual usability for the end user were an afterthought or, more likely, totally lacking. End users never had a seat at the table to help make the decision.
Due to consumerisation, end users are now more vocal about what they want. And they don’t want software that is hard to use. Bad user experience leads to higher training costs, more errors and lower productivity. Senior executives are beginning to see that user experience impacts the bottom line. This is where Design thinking helps to correct some of our legacy development process.
Design thinking is an approach that involves the application of empathy to problem solving, matching the things people need with technologically feasible and viable solutions available today. Empathy helps to create customer-centric solutions to meet specific customer needs. As a framework for product development, design thinking is a human-centered, interactive learning process that focuses on customers as people with defined needs, and works backward to a technology solution. This provides a level of clarity on business objectives and a deeper understanding of the way a company’s products are valued in a marketplace.
All of the above make perfect sense when we are starting out with new development. However the proposal here is to apply design thinking principles for mature software like Java virtual machine leading to great client experiences.
As part of this proposal i would like to cover
- what does it mean to apply design thinking for mature software like Java Virtual Machine
- specific tuning with respect to design thinking principles and
- Outcome of the design thinking approach.
Outline/structure of the Session
- Design thinking methodology
- Application of design thinking for mature software like Java Virtual Machine
- Specific tuning needed wrt design thinking principles
- Finally the outcome of the design thinking approach.
2, 3 and 4 takes Java virtual machine as a case study
- Better appreciation of Design thinking principles through some real world examples from the enterprise customers.
software developers, software architects, engineering managers