How to Roll Rocks Downhill
A practical, hands-on, guide to accelerating Agile projects with Goldratt's Theory of Constraints (TOC)
In 1984 Eli Goldratt's business novel, "The Goal", introduced a counter-intuitive, yet simple and outstandingly profitable, manufacturing technique to the world. That technique is now used by the majority of the world's largest manufacturers and "The Goal" is 1 of only 3 mandatory readings for all managers at Amazon.com.
This session, run by Clarke Ching, an expert in apply Goldratt's techniques to software development projects, and author of Rolling Rocks Downhill, also a business novel, shows how to apply the lessons from "The Goal" to accelerate Agile projects, large and small.
- finding your project's constraint
- managing your project's constraint
- finding your business's constraint
- strategic prioritization wrt your constraint(s)
- demand driven development (based on Zara clothing company's unique business model)
- how to deliver project's on time (making "slam dunk" promises using Critical Chain techniques).
This is a commercially focused, rather than technical, workshop, where the goal is to make your business more profitable.
Outline/structure of the Session
This is a 4 part workshop
- TOC, Agile and bottlenecks - How to run faster.
- Cherrypicking Critical Chain Project Management - How to deliver on time, or early.
- Strategic Sacrifice and Partnering - the secret sauce.
- Show me the money - How to make more money using all of the above!
- deliver more projects
- deliver projects on time, or early
- make more money