Introduction To NeuroScience Based Coaching
WIP - Would be finalised tomorrow
Coaching and mindset are the most used and abused words in agile context.
- We want coaching? But what exactly is coaching? How do we exactly coach?
- We want to empower? But how exactly do we empower? Just declaring empowerment doesn't work.
- We want to change mindset? But what is mindset?
- Can mindset be changed by anyone outside? What does neuroscience and adult learning theory says about it?
- What are some of the coaching models / frameworks available? Where and how can I start?
These are some of the questions we try answer and practice using role plays and exercises.
Outline/structure of the Session
- Introductions - (2 mins)
- What is coaching and how it is different from other professions (15 mins)
- Scenario: A team member comes late to office every day and misses daily replanning meeting (standups) too from past couple of iterations. What is the first thing you would say to him or her in your 1 on 1 as a scrum master / team member / coach (pick any role you want)?
- Seek answers from the audience and introduce them to TAPS model of Dr. David Rock to highlight what coaching is and how it is different from other professions like consulting, mentoring etc...
- Present "powerful questions" as a technique to empower and also to instil trust. (3 mins)
- Introduction to adult learning theory based on 6 NeuroScience principles (20 mins)
- Define mindset and introduce FEELINGS model to have deeper coaching conversations having enough power to change mindset and old habits (20 mins)
- How can you use all of this information in the context of agile?
- Role play coaching conversation between 2 members with 1 observer (5 mins + 10 mins + 5 mins)
- Form triads: 1 coach - 1 coachee - 1 observer
- Coachee think of a real life problem (irrespective of whether it is related to work / agile)
- Start coaching conversation using FEELINGS model (have REAL CONVERSATION and be GENUINELY interested, LISTEN for the unsaid)
- Observer READ environment, INTENT and body language
- After coaching conversation the triad shares their experience within the triad
- Spill over (5 mins)
- Q & A (5 mins)
- Learn what solutions-focused and neuro-science based coaching is all about
- How to resolve dilemma and how to form powerful coaching questions on the fly?
- How to empower individual / team
- Learn shortest possible way to influence someone's thinking and mindset based on neuro-science based adult learning theory and principles
- Learn how to have real + deep + powerful coaching conversations and practice it
- Learn how you can use all of the above in the context of agile