Product design is essentially an efficient and effective generation and development of ideas through a process that leads to new products. You might be wondering "isn't that Product Management" or simply "Design"? Our industry loves coming up with new terms and terminologies, I have personally never knew whether I'm a Designer, a Project Manager, a Program Manager, a Product Manager or a Product Designer. I have created Products while holding those titles in different organizations. So what is Product Design?
I would like to take you through my experience of making games and show you two polarized sides of product creation which led to some fame and on other side some money but both dying products. Then I would like to show you a balanced and a grounded approach that is making Millions of people smile each day in my current product. Lastly, I hope that I can make the audience laugh multiple times in the session, there is no work without some fun.
Outline/structure of the Session
1. Introduce - 3 Broad Categories of People who want to Build/Create things - How do we know them, where do you belong?
2. The differences in the skills and behavior and attitude of these types. Pros and Cons.
3. Challenges you face when you put all these 3 types together. Lion, Goat and Grass issue.
4. Introduction to Product Designer - Solving for core Human Needs
5. Everyone on your team should be a Product Designer and this is how you should try it.
6. Finally Balancing the equation with rigorous playtesting and then testing and then beta testing :) (different things)
1. Debunk belief around Data and Design
2. Understand Core Human Needs
3. Experience at least one way in which you can build a product that appeals at large scale
Anyone who wants to build stuff.