Scaling Devops in IT - A continuing journey towards excellence
Even as I write this proposal, there are hundreds of organizations looking to scale Devops across the enterprise.
This objective of this talk is to share the valuable lessons imbibed in the last 18 months from scaling Devops across the IT organization. I would be touching upon the following topics:
1. Using maturity models as training wheels. Initial top down approach to set the expectations, enable strategic alignment (cascading IT level goals to segments and services) and set the context ("why")
2. Implementing Strategies for enhancing cross geo collaboration across distributed teams - Sharing the pain, common backlog, collocation vs distribution etc..
3. Leveraging Geo based accelerators for training, building awareness and proliferating communities of practice
4. Monetary and non-monetary means to recognize and reward Devops behaviours, - sharing success stories, proliferating change agents and promoting light house teams
5. Standardized metrics package limited to 5-6 metrics to transition to an outcome based model
6. Centralized coaching and mentoring to focus on principles, enable and empower teams
7. Planning and Investing in tools and technologies around automation, predictive analysis, monitoring and infrastructure to enhance predictability and stability
We now realize that transformation is not about just changing behaviours and attitudes but more about creating purpose through backlogs, empowering teams and accelerating business value delivery.
We have covered a lot of ground in the last 18 months. Keeping aside the quantitative metrics, the following is what gives us the confidence that we are on the right track is:
1. All work items to be implemented gets added to the backlog
2. Prioritization of work items is done based on business value
3. Enhanced recognitions inter and intra team and peers across Geos enabling a collaborative ecosystem
We have a long way to go, but the road ahead looks promising.
Outline/structure of the Session
- What is Devops and it’s benefits - 5 mins
- Common Barriers / Challenges in Scaling Devops - 5mins
- Strategies to scale Devops - 2mins
- Culture Shift - 8 mins
- Enhance Capability - 3 mins
- Build Resiliency - 3mins
- Customer Centricity - 3mins
- Outcomes and Way forward - 6 mins
- Q&A - 10 mins
Key takeaways would be:
Why scale Devops
Understand the barriers to scale Devops
Key Strategies to scale Devops across the organization
Benefits and Outcomes that could achieved through Enterprise Devops adoption
Agile Devops Coaches, Scrum Masters, Agile Enthusiasts, Agile Practitioners
Basic knowledge of lean, agile, Devops