The art of Agile coaching - when and how to coach
Depending on the Agile maturity of teams or leaders they are working with, Agile coaches need to decide whether to take a directive approach (and tell people what they should do) or a coaching approach (where they help people decide for themselves). In this workshop I will explain the 'autonomy versus capability' concept which assists in knowing when to coach, and share the iGROW coaching model which guides the coach through the conversation. Once the theory is covered I will do a live coaching session live on stage in front of the audience. People will walk away with the art of coaching - an understanding of a coaching model they can start to practice with right away the the knowledge of when its the right time to use it.
Outline/structure of the Session
0-5 mins 'Hook' to get peoples focus and attention on the topic
5-20 mins : cover two concepts. 1. The autonomy/capability matrix which looks at when to coach by considering the level of autonomy the coachee has for the task at hand (low-high) and the capability (skills and experience) they have around the task. 2. The iGROW model created by Dr Anthony Grant which is a model for a 20-30 min coaching conversation.
20-40 mins: live coaching demonstration in front of the audience. This will be fully unscripted and I will be coaching someone from the audience to volunteers. I will have a few people on stand-by in case everyone is too shy!
40-45 mins: debrief on the coaching demo and closing summary
People will walk away with the art of coaching - an understanding of a coaching model they can start to practice with right away the the knowledge of when its the right time to use it.
Agile coaches primarily, but I also teach the techniques to business leaders to they will be useful for any people leader
schedule Submitted 5 days ago
People who liked this proposal, also liked:
Stuart McNeil Mitchell - Agile Corporate Governance : How To Spark A RevolutionStuart McNeil MitchellAgile Coach and TrainerAgile 360 Training
schedule 2 days agoSold Out!
Do you want to understand the biggest, yet least discussed, impediment in the way of Agile? An impediment so large it affects not only the ability of your Agile teams to deliver effectively but also the competitive ability of your company.
Just like fish cannot see water, many of us cannot see the true and deep impact that traditional corporate governance has on our Agile programs.
This presentation explores how, with the arrival of start-up ‘Disruptors’, a revolutionary change to the way we do governance must begin right now. The effect of these disruptors is seismic. ‘Your margin is my opportunity’ says Jeff Bezos and now every company needs the ability to deliver FASTER but at the same time they must stick to higher measures of governance SAFETY.
Those companies who cannot see, or do not change, will stagnate and fail. But those who recognise the threat will have stronger leaner governance and highly effective Agile programs.
This presentation spells out the urgency for a new approach and explains how to build a governance structure within any size organisation that provides both transparency and data. Let me share my experience and research into how to make and sustain the changes needed to bring buoyancy to Agile programs.
Outline of the Presentation
- Attendees will be alerted to the risks posed by traditional governance.
- They will be shown how to build an Agile governance structure within any size of regulated industry.
- The stress is on transparency and data.
- A hand drawn infographic will be created during the talk
- The 'Presentation Poster' will be available for photographs at the end of the presentation and then again used as an ‘Information Radiator’ in the conference main gathering area.
- Unique slides - The session slides are hand drawn and unique which is a key contributor to maintaining audience engagement.
- The presentation style is tested. A previous iteration has been checked both for content and quality. The principals of the argument have been reviewed by industry experts and has evolved to be regarded as of ‘enormous value’ at the CIO Summit Sydney and it was invited to tour the country in "Agile Encore" after Agile Australia 2017.
- Understand how Corporate Governance is the biggest single impediment to hit the Agile industry.
- Appreciate how we have reached this juncture
- Learn why Regulatory Governance safety levels are moving from 95% to 99.99%
- Understand how the arrival of startup ‘Disruptors’ is seismic shift to our ‘ways of working’
- Understand how the very structures of Governance we have built to protect us will, if unchanged, be the very structures that threaten us.
- Be convinced of the need for change now.
- Receive a roadmap, top tips and a ‘call to action’.
- They will learn how they can prepare, work and succeed with the governance battles ahead
The session has two facilitators, Marty Ruckert and Stuart Mitchell. Marty will be creating an Infographic of the presentation and Stuart will be talking.
Sam Bowtell - 6 Indians who can't swim and only 4 boats - the importance of the Inclusive Agile LeaderSam BowtellAgile Practise LeadCommonwealth Bank of Australia
schedule 1 week agoSold Out!
Sam Bowtell - Agile in the Community with OzHarvestSam BowtellAgile Practise LeadCommonwealth Bank of Australia
schedule 4 days agoSold Out!
OzHarvest is Australia’s leading food rescue organisation, collecting quality excess food from commercial outlets and delivering it directly to more than 1000 charities supporting people in need across the country. The Commonwealth Bank is Australia's leading financial services institution.
During the talk I will share the story of how a few of us at CommBank helped Ozharvest adopt Agile to improve how they run their business. The outcome of the session is to stress the importance of helping our community with Agile, and I hope that people will be inspired to try something like this themselves. The session is also a good example of a non technology Agile story that will be helpful to business people.