Agile Corporate Governance : How To Spark A Revolution
Do you want to understand the biggest, yet least discussed, impediment in the way of Agile? An impediment so large it affects not only the ability of your Agile teams to deliver effectively but also the competitive ability of your company.
Just like fish cannot see water, many of us cannot see the true and deep impact that traditional corporate governance has on our Agile programs.
This presentation explores how, with the arrival of start-up ‘Disruptors’, a revolutionary change to the way we do governance must begin right now. The effect of these disruptors is seismic. ‘Your margin is my opportunity’ says Jeff Bezos and now every company needs the ability to deliver FASTER but at the same time they must stick to higher measures of governance SAFETY.
Those companies who cannot see, or do not change, will stagnate and fail. But those who recognise the threat will have stronger leaner governance and highly effective Agile programs.
This presentation spells out the urgency for a new approach and explains how to build a governance structure within any size organisation that provides both transparency and data. Let me share my experience and research into how to make and sustain the changes needed to bring buoyancy to Agile programs.
Outline of the Presentation
- Attendees will be alerted to the risks posed by traditional governance.
- They will be shown how to build an Agile governance structure within any size of regulated industry.
- The stress is on transparency and data.
- A hand drawn infographic will be created during the talk
- The 'Presentation Poster' will be available for photographs at the end of the presentation and then again used as an ‘Information Radiator’ in the conference main gathering area.
- Unique slides - The session slides are hand drawn and unique which is a key contributor to maintaining audience engagement.
- The presentation style is tested. A previous iteration has been checked both for content and quality. The principals of the argument have been reviewed by industry experts and has evolved to be regarded as of ‘enormous value’ at the CIO Summit Sydney and it was invited to tour the country in "Agile Encore" after Agile Australia 2017.
- Understand how Corporate Governance is the biggest single impediment to hit the Agile industry.
- Appreciate how we have reached this juncture
- Learn why Regulatory Governance safety levels are moving from 95% to 99.99%
- Understand how the arrival of startup ‘Disruptors’ is seismic shift to our ‘ways of working’
- Understand how the very structures of Governance we have built to protect us will, if unchanged, be the very structures that threaten us.
- Be convinced of the need for change now.
- Receive a roadmap, top tips and a ‘call to action’.
- They will learn how they can prepare, work and succeed with the governance battles ahead
The session has two facilitators, Marty Ruckert and Stuart Mitchell. Marty will be creating an Infographic of the presentation and Stuart will be talking.
Outline/structure of the Session
1) Introduction; (6min)
What Corporate Governance is
Why Corporate Governance is essential
2) Why we are, where we are! (3min)
The Towers built to stop failing Projects
Heavyweight Governance for heavyweight projects
3) Revolution; (8min)
The Seismic Change
Startup Disruptors are here ‘Your Margin is my opportunity’ Jeff Bezos (Amazon)
4) Evolution; (8min)
Pathway to changes that need to be made
Why status quo is no longer a choice
5) Evidence; (6min)
Why status quo is no longer a choice
Paying the Agile tax
What future Agile Corporate Governance structures look like
How corporate governance can become part of your Agile DNA
6) Summary and Q&A; (14min)
Agile Corporate Governance – ‘How to Cook Book’
Top 6 Predictions
Call to Action
1. Appreciate the challenges of company governance
2. Understand how Agile's Corporate Governance processes work
3. Learn why governance has to be respected and the ways it can be most effectively managed with Agile
4. Understand how governance is planning to move from 95% to 99.99% safety within 2yrs ... and what that means for our work
5. Be instructed on how to prepare, work with and succeed with the governance battles ahead
Each attendee will receive the Agile Governance ebook from the UK National Audit Office (which is full of case studies and suggestions).
Agile coaches, senior leaders in the organization, managers, scrum masters, developers etc.
Participants should have some knowledge of Agile implementation.
schedule Submitted 1 week ago
People who liked this proposal, also liked:
Sam Bowtell - 6 Indians who can't swim and only 4 boats - the importance of the Inclusive Agile Leader
John Le Drew - Swearing, Nudity and Other Vulnerable PositionsJohn Le DrewOwnerWise Noodles
schedule 3 weeks agoSold Out!
Over 3 months John recorded over 75 hours of interviews and spoke to some of the most respected people in the industry to produce an audio documentary that attempts to answer the question “What is safety? And why is it important anyway?”
This highly interactive talk will present the findings and guide and challenge you through a journey to understanding safety. Including short interactive sessions and role play exercises to cover the following topics:
- What is safety?
- What are the elements that make a team effective?
- Is psychological safety the foundation to team performance?
- What can we all do to help foster psychological safety in our teams?
- What is the relationship between safety, stress and engagement?
- What is the profound impact of a lack of safety and engagement on society?
This talk has grown as John created the new podcast The Agile Path. The first season on this podcast is about safety in teams. John has interviewed world renowned specialists in the field; Christopher Avery, David Marquet, Jerry Weinberg, Esther Derby, Johanna Rothman, Woody Zuill and many more in over 75 hours of audio. This has been a fascinating deep dive learning experience for John and he hopes to explore these insights with the audience.
Sam Bowtell - Agile in the Community with OzHarvest
OzHarvest is Australia’s leading food rescue organisation, collecting quality excess food from commercial outlets and delivering it directly to more than 1000 charities supporting people in need across the country. The Commonwealth Bank is Australia's leading financial services institution.
During the talk I will share the story of how a few of us at CommBank helped Ozharvest adopt Agile to improve how they run their business. The outcome of the session is to stress the importance of helping our community with Agile, and I hope that people will be inspired to try something like this themselves. The session is also a good example of a non technology Agile story that will be helpful to business people.
Sam Bowtell - The art of Agile coaching - when and how to coach
Depending on the Agile maturity of teams or leaders they are working with, Agile coaches need to decide whether to take a directive approach (and tell people what they should do) or a coaching approach (where they help people decide for themselves). In this workshop I will explain the 'autonomy versus capability' concept which assists in knowing when to coach, and share the iGROW coaching model which guides the coach through the conversation. Once the theory is covered I will do a live coaching session live on stage in front of the audience. People will walk away with the art of coaching - an understanding of a coaching model they can start to practice with right away the the knowledge of when its the right time to use it.