Product Owners are the worst customers
"We should do this because I think it's what the customers want"
Product Owners (PO) have a lot of responsibilities, and one of them is to provide guidance to the team on what problems to solve and what is valuable to customers by bringing the voice of the customer and user to the table. However, the situation becomes dangerous when the PO becomes the voice of the customer and user, making decisions based on their working experience, without supporting evidence. This is often even worse in startups, where the pace is faster and the PO has a greater responsibility in steering the team in the right direction.
This talk is to help Product Owners as well as the teams working with them to ensure that the team is focusing on the "right problem" to solve and backing it up using evidence. I will share some tips on how to use things such as Customer Experience to focus the team to solve problems that matter, and how different types of data can help PO's make more informed decisions for their teams.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- The Product Owner Dilemma (5 minutes)
- The challenges for Product Owners (10 minutes)
- Customer Experience (CX) and how it can help Product Owners (10 minutes)
- Agile and CX: can it work? (10 minutes)
- 5 recommendations for Product Owners (10 minutes)
- Tips for Product Owners in bringing the voice of the customer (including customer feedback) and user to the decision making table
- Tips for teams on what they should expect from their Product Owners
- Tips on how to use data effectively to help prioritise decisions
- Tips for startups and small to medium enterprises on the best way to equip their PO to be effective
VP/Director level Product & Technology Leaders, Product Owners and Designers
Prerequisites for Attendees
Basic knowledge of the values and principles of agile from the agile manifesto