Are Government O&M teams already DevOps teams?
Given the hypothesis that in the Federal government environment current Operations & Maintenance teams are already performing DevOps, I am going to examine the usage of the practices of DevOps to test this hypothesis. I will begin with a brief explanation of what I consider to be the foundational, holistic, and advanced DevOps practices and then assess them in terms of today's O&M teams. Join me in this deep dive into a particular niche of the public sector.
Outline/structure of the Session
- Foundational DevOps Practices
- Version Control
- Automated Testing
- Build Tools
- Continuous Integration
- Holistic DevOps Practices
- Deployment Orchestration
- Advanced DevOps Practices
- Logging and Monitoring
- Configuration Management
- Integrated Team
- O&M Teams in the government
- The Test
The audience will gain an overall understanding of the following:
- What are the foundational, holistic, and advanced DevOps practices.
- What are the signs (processes, tools, culture) that show evidence of the practices being used.
- How do most O&M teams in the Federal government function.
- Are current O&M teams practicing DevOps
Project Managers, Program Managers, Developers, Operations personnel