Teams that Plan Together, Plan Better: Big Room Planning in the Enterprise
Any kind of planning is an exercise in uncertainty. Especially so in large enterprises where delivering value to the customer involves multiple teams within and across organizational silos. Although made popular by SAFe’s PI planning event, Big Room Planning has been used successfully by many organizations to connect the work of their agile teams to the overarching business strategy and to what they can deliver.
In this session, we will share our recent story on how Big Room Planning ideas were used in a large Fortune 100 company to align teams, stakeholders, leadership on desired business capabilities, surface uncertainties, dependencies, and reach shared understanding and consensus on achievable outcomes in the near-term.
It is our hope that some of the ideas discussed and resources shared in this session will help you and your teams with your near-term planning horizons, especially those attempting to drive agility in large, complex organizations.
Outline/structure of the Session
- Problem Context
- Sample 1-Day Agenda
- Preparing for the Event
- Executing the Event
- Description of Planning Artifacts and Templates used
- Outcomes & Improvement Ideas
- Q &A
- Understand the benefits of Big Room Planning ideas in driving real, meaningful collaboration across teams and realize achievable near-term plans created by those doing the actual work.
- Connect the work being done by the team with business goals and mission, expose challenges, dependencies, mitigate risks, all in a focused, fast-paced, fun and engaging 1-day working session
- Take away sample agenda, templates and artifacts and tun ti your own organizational needs
- Last but not least, understand that you don't need a heavy weight process to glean the benefits of this approach
Teams, Business and IT leaders, coaches and all change agents looking for practices to drive meaningful collaboration and achievable plans across organizational silos