A Tale of Two SAFe's: Using the Scaled Agile Framework to Normalize Delivery across Organizations
23% of the respondents in the VersionOne State of Agile 2015 report utilize SAFe. 70% of those same respondents are using outsourced development resources. But how many of those respondents that meet both these criteria are actually successful in delivering their commitments?
“It was the best of programs, it was the worst of programs…”
Meet two companies: Manette and Dernay.
Manette is a large, enterprise organization spanning multiple timezones and continents. They have an internal development department than programs integrations between their legacy systems as well as vendor-provided black-box systems. Their software delivery methodology is a strict interpretation of waterfall.
Dernay is one of Manette’s black-box vendors. They are located on a different continent than Manette and provide the lion’s share of Manette’s software. Dernay is in the process of transitioning from a waterfall delivery model to agile via the Scaled Agile Framework.
Manette and Dernay have recently partnered to develop an ERP system for Manette that depending on market demand could eventually be resold in the open market as a commercial off-the-shelf solution. Dernay will be responsible for building the base product utilizing the business & process knowledge Manette’s users have. Manette’s development resources will be responsible for integrating the Dernay solution with all their up- and down-stream systems.
This session will describe how these organizations utilized SAFe to partner to develop and deploy this system; they utilized this framework to overcome many issues that joint delivery programs encounter, including:
- Communication gaps
- Timeline coordination
- Delivery cadence
- Constraints regarding business resource engagement
Outline/structure of the Session
- Introduction (5 mins)
- Meet Manette & Dernay (5 mins)
- What problems would you expect from the outset? - Audience participation (5 mins)
- A serendipitous turn of events… (5 mins)
- What problems did we encounter & solve with SAFe as a backstop? (10 mins)
- How could you make this work for you? (5 mins)
- Questions/wrap-up (10 mins)
- Attendees will leave the session with ideas about how to leverage SAFe across organizations to drive successful delivery.
- Attendees will be able to conceptualize how to apply these same lessons learned and tips to organizations that have two differing modes of delivering software.
Are you part of a large enterprise? Do you use third-party vendors? Do you often think those two aspects are incongruent when it comes to successful delivery? Then this session is for you! This presentation is suited for anyone who utilizes third-part
Attendees should have a solid understanding of Agile and should either utilize or be familiar with the Scaled Agile Framework.