Know thy value: How to make a good product
Knowing and believing in the reasons for your work is crucial to engineering successful products.
Have you ever been on a project that was kept alive but never seemed to impress anyone? Sadly, this is an issue that too many teams face. One of the key factors of engineering a successful project is knowing which problems it will solve and how it’s benefiting the end user. This is known as a product’s value.
This session will go over why it’s essential for everyone on the team to understand the value of what they are creating.There will be an emphasis on alignment of product management and engineering visions, tips on how that can be done using an agile mindset, and how this idea should be sustained throughout the entire software development lifecycle. These discussions will help provide prioritized work and ensure your product will satisfy customers.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- Introduce different types of business value
- Christian Verwijs business cheatsheet
- Explain why essential for everyone to understand business value of what you're creating.
- Creating a shared understanding
- Ensuring it meets needs of stakeholders or helps scale the product for the future
- Explain how to align Product Management and Engineering Visions using the Agile Mindset.
- Use tools like User Story Mapping
- Explain that you don't need to follow a specific methodology to use this exercise
- Explain how do to continuously revisit business value.
- Baking it into process via grooming sessions, 3 amigos conversations, release planning
- Conclude the session
By the end of the session attendees will know the answers to the following questions:
- Why is it essential for everyone to understand business value of what you're creating
- How do I align Product Management and Engineering Visions using the Agile Mindset?
- How do I continuously revisit business value?
Prerequisites for Attendees
No prerequisites required