Making Government PMO effective in the world of Agile
Imagine you are the program manager for a large enterprise initiative in a federal agency. It’s developed using the Scaled Agile Framework. The development team insisted that they shouldn’t develop requirements too far ahead, instead will discover them as part of the process. Your PMO insisted that they have to put budgets together which required long range planning, as well as respond to oversight demands.
In the meantime, development was falling farther and farther behind. Questions to the PMO were becoming more and more pointed. It seemed like things were getting worse instead of better. What should you do? How can you be successful with Agile while being able to conduct long term planning and meet reporting requirements?
In this presentation, we will share with you the framework we put together that bridges the gap between the Scaled Agile release train and the PMO. It provides the structure and tools to achieve three things:
- Serves as the north star of the overall program vison and goal
- Provides a line of sight that links each development iteration to the ultimate vision, and guide each program increment to ensure the teams are moving to the right direction
- Establishes the mile post markers along the way to help measure progressWe call it ultra-light management, because it does not put undue burden on the Agile Release Train or slow down the development work. At the same time, it provides sufficient guard rail to prevent the program go off track.
This framework was specifically designed to work with the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), however the design will work with any software or system development life cycle.
In summary, the IIP framework allows the PMO to have a single source of truth that consists of
- enterprise program’s long range vision
- its path to achieve the vision
- the plan to travel that path, and
- the schedule and actual work to execute that plan
Outline/Structure of the Experience Report
- The problem that our framework is addressing
- The Framework overview
- Use case study of the framework
- Recognize and articulate the difficulties many agencies face to effectively manage large-scaled Agile project
- Strategy, framework and tools to address the problem
- How to conduct PMO function in the Agile world
• Program managers working in the public sector; • Members of enterprise PMO for agile program/projects• Technical managers and team lead
Prerequisites for Attendees
Hands-on experience with Scaled Agile Framework