Nationwide Insurance: Scaling Organizational Agility Beyond the Enterprise Digital Group
In late 2016, the Nationwide Enterprise Digital group began a lean agile transformation to further improve speed to market and increase flexibility in a highly competitive environment. With the success of the Enterprise Digital transformation, other Nationwide business organizations have begun to adopt many of the lean agile execution practices used by the Digital organization. Besides focusing on how Digital’s successes were harvested and leveraged by other Nationwide groups, this discussion will also address organizational scaling challenges, including the critical role of leadership, need for a consistent vision, metrics in a mixed use environment, and the overwhelming OCM and team coaching needs to complete a transformation at scale. The presentation will conclude with discussion of next steps currently underway in the Enterprise Digital group to complete their lean agile transformation.
Outline/Structure of the Case Study
We will address the following in the presentation:
1. The "Why, What, and How" in scaling a Lean Agile model
2. Why the Digital organization succeeded in scaling
2. How our approach and practices were harvested and leveraged by other Nationwide groups
3. The challenges encountered to complete a transformation at scale:
- The critical role of leadership
- The need for a consistent vision to create a sense of urgency and direction
- Metrics in a mixed use environment
- The overwhelming OCM and team coaching needs for teams to work effectively in a new model
4. The presentation will conclude with discussion of next steps currently underway in the Enterprise Digital group to complete their lean agile transformation.
Organizations within a large enterprise can leverage the lessons learned from our experience.
Anyone interested in learning about scaling a Lean Agile & DevOps approach within and across organizations in a large enterprise.