Business Agility: From a Transformation Program to a Business Capability
Do who want to bring agility to an entire organization but struggle with how to scale it enterprise-wide. By attending this session you will learn what are the key aspects and stakeholders to consider when embarking on a Business Agility transformation and how to establish the right guiding coalition and the appropriate roadmap for success.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
The presentation will discuss the strategy, consisting of 7 components, employed for the transformation:
- Sponsored Vision - Enterprise Agile adoption is a strategic issue. It requires organization-wide deep and persistent change. Hence, enterprise transformation requires clear executive sponsorship, a vision for Agile transformation crafted by the organization executive sponsor and shared with the whole organization.
- Transformation Enablement Team - The guiding body for enterprise Agile transformation, the one that takes the first and reinforcing steps and coaches, trains, mentors, and leads the rest of the enterprise in Agile adoption. This team decides which changes need to happen and when, the patterns that will be involved, and how those changes should be ordered.
- Delivery Teams - How do we transform a change target into an actual Delivery Team, which can become self-managing? The answer lies in the establishment of cadence and the empirical adoption of changes that appeal to good Agile patterns and practices. It is a cadence that allows stakeholders to systemically participate in Agile improvement.
- Transformation Backlog - The strategic vision for Agile change is implemented using a Transformation Backlog. This is an ordered list of changes.
- Actionable Metrics - The transformation initiative should be measured objectively. What we specifically care about, at all times, is the delivery of value. To this end, each change on the Transformation Backlog must be qualified in terms that include the intent and motivation for using it, along with the consequences that can be expected from its correct implementation. Each change item in the Transformation Backlog is given acceptance criteria for verifying its successful adoption by a targeted party.
- Validated Learning - Validated learning is the use of feedback to inform and improve future actions. It is important to improve an organization's ability to undergo an enterprise Agile transformation.
- Validated Roll-out Strategy - A validated transformation rollout strategy must be evaluated in terms of actionable metrics at least once every transformation heartbeat, and that it informs the revision of the transformation backlog. The validation or revision of the transformation strategy provides closure to each and every cycle of the validated learning loop.
The session will be structured:
0:00 - Intro, Background, and Context
0:04 - High-level intro to the 7 components of the transformation strategy
0:11 - Detailed discussion of each component (3 mins each)
0:34 - Q&A
0:44 - Close
- Address the key aspects and stakeholders to consider when embarking on a Business Agility transformation
- Establish the right guiding coalition and the appropriate roadmap for success
- Define the Vision, Mission, and elements that help a Business Agility CoE to ensure new capabilities are sustained over time
Scrum Masters and Agile Coaches
Prerequisites for Attendees