You.i Engine: a gateway to extending Appium testing beyond just mobile
Every second, a million minutes (17,000 hours) of video content will cross global IP networks by 2021, according to Cisco (via Forbes). As it stands today, over ⅓ of online activity is spent watching video. However, there is a unique challenge testing video applications because they tend to run on a wide range of platforms - mobile and tablet, streaming devices, consoles, and Smart TVs. Today, it also demands on individually testing the app on each and every device - highly inefficient and a real pain.
At You.i TV we have developed an Appium Driver that allows us to use the power of Appium to test C++ and React Native video applications on a wide range of platforms including iOS, Android, tvOS, Android TV, PS4, XBox One and Samsung Tizen simultaneously - an industry first.
This talk will focus on the journey and learnings we discovered along the way - including writing a custom Appium Driver, the unique needs of 10-foot devices (remote controlled), and the power we see in combining Appium with React Native.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- Appium Driver
- Brief summary of Appium Driver architecture
- Appium You.i Engine Driver
- You.i Engine Automation Layer
- Challenges (XSLT, proxies, sockets, etc)
- App installation and startup
- Focus-based input
- Handling general key inputs
- Using testid
- Highlights of developing an Appium Driver to extend beyond mobile
- Understand unique challenges testing 10ft, focus based, applications
- Experiences in Using Appium to test React Native applications