From “Tell me what to do” to “I've been doing…”: practicing the Ladder of Leadership
It's easy enough to say that we should encourage everyone to be a leader, it's much harder to actually engage in the specific behaviours to do it.
The Ladder of Leadership is a model from David Marquet and Steven Covey that represents different stages of leader-follower interactions, from "I'll tell you what to do"/"Tell me what to do" to "What have you been doing?"/"I've been doing..."
This workshop introduces the Ladder and is an opportunity to practice different stages to help you to both recognise problems with leader-follower interactions and learn how to respond to turn them into leader-leader interactions.
Outline/structure of the Session
- 5 minute introduction to Ladder of Leadership
- 5 minute introduction and instructions for exercise
- 40 minute - multiple rounds of scenarios - pairs or small groups
- 10 minute debrief and Q&A
- Familiarity with the Ladder of Leadership model
- Some practice with how different leader-follower interactions look and feel
People in leadership roles; people interested in learning about leadership