Activity to Promote 'Transparency' - Villager Mafia
Plan, Produce, Inspect, Adapt & transparency is the Mantra of SCRUM & Agility
Are you struggling to bring Transparency in your Organization?
Here is an Activity to Promote Such behaviour. Also Depicts Importance of All SCRUM Ceremonies & Roles.
Outline/Structure of the Workshop
Plan, Produce, Inspect, Adapt & transparency is the Mantra of SCRUM but often I have seen that
most teams do not provide enough Importance on having Transparency across the Process.
This is in a form of a Activity Named ‘VILLAGER MAFIA’ which helps Showcase the
Importance of Transparency, Team Dynamics while doing SCRUM.
- Introduction to the Activity.
- We need minimum of 12 - 16 people group. If audiences more we can have multiple Groups.
- Logistic Requirement is a Pack of Playing Cards.
- Plan: Brief the Audience on Roles & Rules.
- All the Participants will be seated in round format. Identify a SCRUM Master for each Group.
- Take cards equal to the size of the group.(30% of the cards are Picture cards and rest 70% are
Normal cards + 1 Joker card)
- Each Participant will be given one card each.
- The card should not be disclosed to anyone.
- Person who receives Picture Cards are considered Mafia’s(Tester’s).
- Person who receives Normal Cards are considered Villagers(Developers).
- Person who receives JOKER Cards is considered Guardian Angel (SCRUM Master).
- One Person will co-ordinate the whole Activity known as Product Owner
- Produce:How the Activity will Progress
- Now the co-ordinator will Ask everyone to close their eyes and then just Ask all the Mafia’s
to open their eyes without making any noise. This will make all the Mafia’s know each
other. And the co-ordinator will also know who all are Mafia’s.
- Now again the co-ordinator will ask all the group members to close their eyes and only ask the
Guardian Angel to open their eyes. And without making any noise through eye gesture the
Guardian Angel can point to two people and ask the co-ordinator if any of them is a Mafia. This
Way Guardian Angel will know about two folks if they are Mafia or Villager.
- Now the co-ordinator will ask everyone to close their eyes and then just ask all the Mafia’s
to open their eyes without making any noise and point out a villager whom they want to kill
- Now Co-ordinator will ask everyone to open their eyes and announce the group that unfortunately
an innocent villager is killed by all the Mafia’s.
- Inspect:How the Activity will Progress
- Now the co-ordinator will ask all the group members to speak one by one that whom they
think could be a potential Mafia based on if they heard any whispering or purely based on
- Now the Game takes an interesting angle since randomly people will be allegation each other
of being a Mafia. Since all the Mafia’s already know each other they will deliberately point an
innocent Villager as a Mafia However the Guardian Angel know at least 2 people who they are
so he/she will like to divert the group’s opinion.
- However after a free flow discussion of 3-5 minutes now the Co-ordinator will go in round robin
fashion and ask for a Final top two votes for folks whom they think could be MAFIA.
- At the End the top two people who are Voted as Mafia will get 30 Secs to Speak and Justify
the group why they are not a MAFIA.
- FINAL round of voting is done among these two and decide by the group who is to be
considered MAFIA and should be killed by the group.
- Now the Person killed by the Group should show the Card so that the group understands if
they have killed a MAFIA or an Innocent Villager.
- Adapt:How the individuals adapt
- If a villager is killed in this Process they would understand that they to limited
Information and speculation they killed a Villager instead of a Mafia. If they kill
12 Guardian Angel then it was misfortune for the village. If they kill a Mafia then
They understand it was pure luck which is not going to last long.
13 Now the activity C1 till E11 will be repeated a couple of times with Slight Modifications and more and more transparency will be brought in the Activity.
- Promotes the importance of Transparency.
- Demonstrates How the team Dynamics works when lack of transparency in the process.
- Also covers Key Ceremonies Plan, Produce, Inspect, Adapt