W squared H - A lean product development perspective
Over the years, as I worked with several teams, I observed that everything that we do to perform any activity in an efficacious manner, whether it is as simple as fixing a bug or building something as complex as a space craft can be broken down into three distinct patterns - "Why", "What" and "How" .
This is what I would like to term as W Squared H approach to lean product development and it is an attempt to blend the best practices from lean startup with the traditional time tested lean development methodologies.
The aim of this talk is to provide an insight into proven tools and techniques that can be leveraged to create competitive advantage and customer delight through reduced time to market and faster value delivery. The focus is on a cross section of key lean practices that can be leveraged for better efficiency and effectiveness in the product development life cycle by enabling teams to build the right thing the right way.
Some of these practices will be elaborated with regard to the “what”, “where” and “how” and typical benefits that can be harvested.
Sustenance is the key to harness the full potential of world class practices and processes. Hence the final part of the presentation would also cover lean leadership and sustenance techniques that work.
Given below is a snapshot of the topics proposed to be covered during the talk.
- 14 lean principles (philosophy, process, people and partners, problem solving)
- Challenges / Barriers to lean product development
- Value vs Price
- Five steps to Value
- Purpose Alignment Matrix and strategies for "Parity", "Differentiating", "Partner" and "Who Cares"
- Four questions
- Lean Product Process (Achieving Product Market fit)
- Design - Build - Learn
- Problem Space vs Solution Space
- Kano Matrix
- Importance - User satisfaction matrix
Methodologies to eliminate waste, create flow and strengthen the weakest link
- MVP and value proposition
- Managing dependencies - Design Structure Matrix
- Value Stream Mapping
- Busting the 6 myths of product development
- Visualizing workflow and identifying bottlenecks
- Creating flow and pull
- Reducing cost of change
- Achieving perfection - iterating to strengthen the weakest link
- Optimization - Orthogonal Arrays and Risk Based Testing
- Benefits from lean product development
- 9 keys to execution excellence
- Lean leadership
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- Brief introduction to 14 principles of lean - 5 minutes
- Techniques to building the right product - 10 minutes
- Building things right -10 minutes
- Key for sustaining execution excellence - 5 minutes
- Lean leadership - 5 minutes
- Q & A - 10 minutes
Understand and deploy various principles / frameworks across the product development lifecycle to do right things right for eliminating waste and maximizing value.
Lean Coaches, Lean Practitioners, Agile Coaches, Agile Practitioners and Scrum Masters