Leveling Up at Scale: How to find your target and aim for it!
Are you ready to scale successfully?
Your success depends on management structures, relationships, and organizational culture. It also depends on the skills, tools, and practices your teams are mastering.
What investments are required to create the environment that cultivates progress and mastery of team skills and capabilities at scale?
What are the benefits you can expect in return?
- Do you need consistent and sustainable team focus on producing value that is fully aligned with business goals?
- Do you need high-quality, predictable, and reliable continous delivery capabilities that come from mastering technical and engineering practices?
- Do you need to be a disrupter? Do you need to achieve the goal of optimizing value through business agility?
Help your teams chart a path to an agreed-upon goal of mastery.
In this hands-on session you will work together with others who share your passion in order to uncover strategies that develop team proficiency and produce the outcomes your business and customers need. Plan your investment strategy in Agile Practices at the team level to help you gain new insights for working at scale.
We will be working with the team-based Agile Fluency™ Model from James Shore and Diana Larsen to understand your individual teams' development. We will explore what the model can teach us about mastery that supports scaling your Agile principles and practice while you create an environment that fits your customer and business needs best.
- As a manager, HR consultant, or project office expert you will discover a pathway for team development as you explore appropriate structures for cultivating Agile teams working at scale.
- As a coach, Scrum Master, or team lead you will uncover strategies for coaching your team and organisation to master then practices that fit your organisation best.
- As a developer, QA expert or other builder with an eye on scaled success you will uncover a path of craftsmanship that will take you from building code to the state of “code whisperer” (if you choose to take it).
- As a business liason, product owner, or product manager you will uncover strategies to help you discover, deliver and optimise the value in your product.
Outline/Structure of the Workshop
Dear reviewer ... this is the first draft outline based on successful team based workshops.... I will continue to refine it in as the conference approaches in order to focus on aspects of team learning in large (scaled) organistations.
I prefer to work in a workshop setting. If you prefer a 45 minute talk to a 90 minute workshop I will remove most of the interactive components to structure the information delivery as a talk. I can align this presentation to your goals.
An "adapted" 4-C model
Process Mechanics (5 Minutes) CONNECTION - "pop up questions"": where is your team on the pathway? (selected questions for each “zone” inspired by the Agile Fluency Diagnostic.)
(5 minutes) CONCRETE PRACTICE MINI-BITE: Sparrow “Game” (from Llewellyn Falco) (5 Minutes–or less!) followed by
(15 Minutes) CONTENT - Lighting explanation of the Agile Fluency Model
(10 minutes) CONVERSATION / STRUCTURED DISCUSSION - Reaction and questions based on the presentation, filter questions in table groups and frame them for Q&A discussion
(40 minutes) CONCRETE PRACTICE: Explore team based learning in the context of scale
- Form affinity groups (HR/managers, devs, coaches, POs) with a quick sorting game (5 min of 45)
Create the Stages of Practice maps (20 min of 45)
- Go to a wall with your group (we can also use the tables in room if need be)
- Create a map using blue tape, ribbon, and sticky notes that shows stages of practice that match your affinity group.
Developers, what stages of practice do you find from your combined experience for developing fluent proficiency in tech practice and other skills?
Product Owners, what stages of practice do you find for developing fluent proficiencies for owning and discovering value for your product?
Coaches, managers hr what stages of practice do you find for coaching your teams (or supporting your teams) in developing fluent proficiencies for producing Agile software?
(I have experience providing format and facilitation to generate valuable results from these maps.)
- Gallery walk and group debrief ... with application to scale I'll provide comments to help participants go deeper (20 min of 45)
(15 minutes) CLOSING: Taking it Home
Debrief Questions: What surprised you? Reflect the practices you will take back. Starting where you are, what practices will you attempt to strengthen through coaching? What next? What next?
After this workshop you should be able to
Explain how teams learn through deliberate practice that support success at scale no matter which scaling principles and processes are emerging in your organisation.
Ask the right questions to evaluate scaling frameworks in terms of the principles and practices that fit your organisation best.
Identify the zones of the Agile Fluency Model and show how they apply tp your teams.
Understand how skills and practices may change as teams become more fluent.
Encourage the environment your organisation needs to develop proficient fluency at the next level—and the right level for your organisation.
Leadership (Scaling Managers, HR, Project Office, Team Managers, Scrum Masters , Product Owners, Product Managers, Release Train Engineers and Developers who are influencing their teams)