sweetPotatO - BDD done effortlessly
Behavior Driven Development is inherently considered difficult. And there are reasons for it.
- Acceptance Criteria, written by PO in natural language is susceptible for misinterpretation
- Handoffs of user stories between POs , Developers and Testers result in rework.
- Developers and testers perceive that translating the acceptance criteria to automated tests involves considerable amount of effort in translation and coding.
We address these issues in our tool which is code named "sweetPotatO"
sweetPotatO is based on cypress, cucumber and gherkin framework and enables you to write acceptance criteria for web applications in controlled natural language. The tool converts the English criteria to machine understandable code and executes the intended test on the web page. So now the PO just needs to write the test in English and automated tests are ready.
To reduce the friction in adopting sweetPotatO, we will also demonstrate a Visual Studio Code plugin which helps PO understand the vocabulary.
And since we use cypress, it can be easily integrated into CI/CD pipeline.
sweetPotatO is an important component for DevOps which helps bridge the gap between translation of acceptance criteria and automation tests. As the tool gets richer in its expression, we envision a future where effort spent on writing UI and Functional tests is reduced to minimum.
Outline/Structure of the Demonstration
- Brief overview of BDD - Divya
- Gherkin Syntax and Feature files - Raman
- sweetPotatO demo - Raman
- Adoption of BDD
- Understanding the tools available for BDD
- Using sweetPotatO
Product Owners, Developers and Automation Testers
Prerequisites for Attendees
Basic understanding of Behaviour driven development and agile concepts like User stories, acceptance criteria