Feature Toggle Promotion via CI/CD Pipeline
Are you using release toggles to:
- decouple deployments from releases?
- allow micro-services to be deployed independently as and when they are ready?
- even if rest of the micro-services required for the feature are not ready
- practice trunk-based development?
If yes, then how are you ensuring that when you need to turn on a release toggle in production, you are doing it in a safe manner?
This session will explain how you can ensure that your CI/CD pipelines can validate, manage and promote the toggle state in a fully automated manner as part of the deployment process itself. If your teams are embracing zero-touch continuous deployment model, then this session is for you.
Outline/Structure of the Tutorial
- Context: need for release toggles
- Demo: open source feature toggling platform
- Problem: How to ensure release toggles are promoted in a safe manner?
- Solution: Using CI/CD pipelines to promote code, config, db and feature toggle states atomically
- Challenges and Insights
- Decider components and their importance in release toggles
- Setting up CI/CD pipelines to promote code, config, db and feature toggle states in an atomic fashion
- How to avoid manual (error-prone) steps and embrace automation
Architects, Leads, DevOps Engineers and SRE
Prerequisites for Attendees
- Knowledge of release toggles and CI/CD pipelines