Next Gen Transformational Leadership Skills
Many agile transformations fail because leadership lacked Next Gen skills. What can you do to make your agile transformation successful? The very first step is to understand that an agile transformation is actually a journey and not a transformation in the sense of turning a knob.
With that understanding comes the awareness that this journey can only be fruitful if taken holistically. For example, the agile strategy has to be implemented company-wide. Thus, setting your agile strategy up for success requires implementation on all levels - from top management to every team – and in all areas – e.g., performance appraisals, budgeting, or personal development.
The VUCA (volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous) times we’re living in request situational leadership. Thus, it is essential to be aware of the situation and context and understand that there is no one-size-fits-all leadership style.
Next Gen leaders smoothly switch between servant leadership, support, coaching, and also directing and delegating.In this workshop, we will explore the essential skills of Next Gen transformational leaders. These skills ensure to get full buy-in from your team and/or your peers, understand how to increase the awareness of a situation and how to lead with a holistic understanding.
Outline/Structure of the Workshop
- Welcome and working agreements (20min)
- Set the stage - individual and common goals & agenda (30min)
- Defining the context (30min)
- What’s required for a next gen transformational leader?
- How are transformations impacted by a VUCA context?
- Increasing awareness (70min)
- Looking outwards: leverage your learning opportunities
- Looking inwards: Understand your limiting beliefs & bias
- Gain a holistic understanding (90min)
- Ensure the transformation is neither disconnect from the team(s) nor the (top) management
- Understand the need of leading top, down, and across
- Communication: (90min)
o How do we communicate, what works what doesn't.
o Use role play to point out necessary skills.
- Conflicts and decisions (90min)
o making decisions as a leader and/or with a team
o uncovering and resolving conflict
o role playing conflicts & decisions
- Reflection & discussion of possible next steps (30min)
- Debrief and Wrap-Up (30min)
- Understand that an agile transformation journey needs to be implemented holistically.
- Based on increasing your (self-)awareness, understand how your communication style can be perceived
- Learn how to get buy-in for your decisions
- Understand what’s required of a leader to successfully implement an agile transformation journey
All conference attendees