The 5 Don'ts of Product Ownership
Struggling with being Product Owner? You are not alone. Being a Product Owner in the Federal Government poses many challenges: certain processes need to be followed; a variety of stakeholders need to be informed at varying levels of detail; and the team is expected to deliver frequently and regularly, to name a few.
Mr. Barry Zukose, Product Owner of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Mobius application, together with Ms. Charise Arellano, contractor program manager, share lessons learned in discovering what it takes to be and support an effective Product Owner.
Drawing from real-life experiences on the Mobius program, Mr. Zukose and Ms. Arellano will walk through the top 5 things a Product Owner "should not" do, all while providing tactical tips to:
- Prioritize the backlog effectively;
- Scope efforts to achieve the minimum viable product (MVP); and
- Support efficient product delivery
Outline/Structure of the Experience Report
Barry Zukose and Charise Arellano will co-present "The 5 Don'ts of Product Ownership. The talk will follow the outline below:
- Set the stage (5 mins)
- Mr. Zukose and Ms. Arellano will introduce themselves and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Mobius program
- Present Theme 1: Conversation and the Customer (12 mins)
- Mr. Zukose will speak to the importance of conversation, especially as it relates to balancing multiple stakeholder and user groups
- Ms. Arellano will speak to the importance of conversation within the team
- Mr. Zukose and Ms. Arellano will recap Theme 1 in the form of Don'ts
- Don't sell short the power of simple conversation
- Don't limit your idea of who the customer is
- Present Theme 2: Prioritizing Effectively (12 mins)
- Mr. Zukose will describe his process for prioritizing the Mobius backlog
- Ms. Arellano will describe how using Jira facilitates the prioritization process and helps keep the team focused on the "now" and "what's next"
- Mr. Zukose and Ms. Arellano will recap Theme 2 in the form of Don'ts
- Don't underestimate the level of effort to prioritize the backlog
- Don't undervalue agile tools
- Present Theme 3: Minimum Viable Product (MVP) (12 mins)
- Mr. Zukose will share how he gets from conversations about the big picture to an understanding of the smallest, valuable pieces of functionality
- Ms. Arellano will address when to loop technical resources into big picture conversations
- Mr. Zukose and Ms. Arellano will recap Theme 3 in the form of Don'ts
- Don't forget to think big and develop small
- Wrap up (4 mins)
- Mr. Zukose and Ms. Arellano will recap the top 5 Don'ts of Product Ownership
Attendees of this talk will gain insights into what it is like being a Product Owner in the Federal Government, and take away ideas for improving agile operations within their own teams.
Federal and Industry Product Owners and those looking to gain insights on the Product Owner experience
Prerequisites for Attendees