SCRUM for Legacy/Embeded Systems Development
Scrum no doubt has become the popular framework for new software product development or enhacements in highly complex environment. Scrum for software development was modelled after "The New New Product Development Game" by Hirotaka Takeuchi and Ikujiro Nonaka published in the Harvard Business Review in 1986.
But can SCRUM be used for legacy systems development or embeded systems (involving technologies like mainframe, unix, c/c++) where features work behind the scenes and not visible to end users directly?
The answer is YES.
There are plenty organizations that still uses number crunching systems like mainframe as a part of their on going operations (like Banking) and semiconductor companies that uses predominantly low level languages. The challenges often are that the features dont have an UI layer for the end users to validate and is done through automated tests and benchmarking applications.
In this talk, you will understand how Scrum can be used to achieve project goals in a legacy/embedded environment. I will also cover a case study on an existing legacy systems development project that has sucessfully devlivered business values through SCRUM.
Outline/Structure of the Presentation
Presentation will be on the below agenda:
- (5 mins) Legacy/Embeded Systems Vs New Product Development
- (5 mins) Demystificaiton of myths about scrum for legacy/embeded systems development
- (15 mins) How to effectively define roles, artifacts and events,
- Scrum Roles
- Product Owner who can validate the features developed that are not visible
- Scrum Master who can coach and help the team visualize the features developed
- Development team that can effciently develop and test features that work coherently with other systems
- Scrum Artifacts
- How to prioritze user stories in the Product Backlog?
- How to plan Sprints/Iterations?
- How to release one product increment?
- Scrum Events
- How to effectively conduct Scrum Events?
- Scrum Roles
- (5 mins) Continous Improvement & Innovation in Legacy/Embedded Systems
- (10 mins) Case study on "Successful delivery of Legacy Systems development using SCRUM"
- (5 mins) Q&A?
- Learn how to effectively use SCRUM for legacy/embeded systems development
- Tips and recommendations for creating product backlog, increment and user stories that are invisible to end-users
- How to effectively colloborate between PO, SM & Development team in legacy/embeded setup?
Scrum Master, Agile Coaches, Product Owner, Project Managers, Program Managers
Prerequisites for Attendees
- Exposure to Scrum Framework
- Understanding of Software Development Lifecycle