Practices & Principles OVER Ceremonies & Certifications

A thought provoking session. History might be repeating itself! List of Agile frameworks keeps increasing and with it clarity of what matters most is decreasing. Is it time to stop and conduct some "Clear Thinking"?!

Scrum, XP, FDD, ASD, DSDM, Crystal, LSD, Kanban, Scrumban, SAFe, LeSS, Scrum@Scale, Nexus, etc. Not to mention numerous list of tailored frameworks with random other names. If we apply Pareto principle to drop 80% of details what would be the remaining 20%? What does that minimum viable framework look like? And do we really need the other 80% beyond for learning and inspirational purposes?

In this talk we review some history, then temporarily put fancy frameworks and jargon aside, and try to clear our mind so that we can maintain focus on what matter most. Any chance that we are getting distracted by numerous frameworks, roles, ceremonies, artefacts, and terms? And is that right path towards successful transformation and journey towards perfection? Let's find out...


Outline/Structure of the Presentation

  • Slides all over the session.
  • Real-time polls and word clouds to engage audience. For 60s polls I'll play focus music (I compose my own).
  • Fun real-life stories.
  • 1 or 2 short videos to provoke thoughts and to keep audience smiling.
  • If audience is less than 40-ish few questions with chocolate (or else) rewards.
  • We leave session with thoughts on how we got here (Lean & Agile) and where we really need to focus. More clarity on how to think of Agile & Lean.

During the session, we'll use some questions and comments from little children to practice Clear Thinking.

Learning Outcome

Audience leave the session with fresh and clear mind on their Agile & Lean views. Once again we put things into perspective by looking beyond specific frameworks.

Target Audience

Anyone in process of adopting Agile frameworks. Hardcore practitioners who guide others in the journey.

Prerequisites for Attendees

Intermediate experience with Lean & Agile. Familiarity with few frameworks at beginner level as well as past exposure to pre-Agile era is bonus.

schedule Submitted 2 years ago