The attributes of good management
In this session, I will be describing what good management looks like for agile teams and organizations.
I will present a handful of frameworks for thinking about management, and marry them up to my observations over twenty years of managing experimenting on people in technology-oriented businesses.
I will present examples of good management practices and challenge a few assumptions about what good management requires.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- Introduce the problem: Bad management is pervasive
- Discuss how managers learn their jobs and how this perpetuates problems
- Introduce frameworks and theory
- Discuss the relevant differences between agile teams and normies
- Challenge some management myths
- Present a "vital few" good practices to focus on
- Call to action
- Appreciate the importance of good management
- Know what good management looks like and have a focus area to work on in the immediate future
- Are aware of red herrings in the management meme-sphere and can be sensitive to them
managers and people who aspire to be managers
Prerequisites for Attendees
Bring your curiosity.