EMPATHY - LEAD WITH YOUR EARS AND NOT WITH YOUR MOUTH
The challenges of product development are not about products. They are about interpersonal relations. The empathic component is what makes a product manager special. In a field that values objective performance, spending your time on empathic interaction is perceived as a waste of time because is not measurable. But there is a connection between empathy and other outcomes, such as enhanced team buy-in, smoother communication and information exchange. Empathy is key to building great products. Give it to your office community, and they will love you.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
45 min talk with slides & 15 q&a
more constructive communication - develop skills for empathy
- First address the emotional (What & How)
- Move on to the informational aspects. (User & Data)
- Close with our shared values (Give it a purpose)
- This is what I need from you. (Influence)
- Are we still aligned? Do you need anything from me?
Prerequisites for Attendees