Behat - Arguably the best PHP tool to switch to Automated testing from Manual
In no time, the term 'Manual QA" is going to be a dinosaur. What does that mean? Are all the Manual QA going to extinct? Thank Behat, Manual testers can have a bright career into Automation. The term automation is itself horrifying, which means complex framework, complex setup and the biggest of all, lots and lots of coding involved.
Behat is an open source BDD PHP framework. It has a rich library of extensions which will help you test user workflow and interact with the Web application using Mink, test your APIs and also develop a Page Object Automation framework.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
In this session, I will be covering the following basic topics:
- What is BDD?
- What is Gherkin?
- How to install Behat?
- Various options in Gherkin like Background, Scenario, Scenario Outline
- How to get started with writing Behat tests in a feature file which are known as Scenarios in Behat?
- Three basic steps to setup any Behat extension using composer.json and behat.yml files
- Mink extension
- Mink selectors
- Running behat tests using Mink
- Mink Drivers - Selenium2
- Running selective Scenarios (tests)
- Skip / exclude tests from Test suite
- Introduction to custom functions
- Widely used Behat extensions
In this session, you will learn:
- How to get started with writing Behat tests using Gherkin?
- How to run Behat tests in a headless browser and a physical browser?
- How to setup any Behat extension?
- How to create a basic custom function when ready-made step definitions are not available?
QA Engineer, Test Engineer, Technical Project Manager, Automation Engineer
Prerequisites for Attendees
Reading a bit about the following topics would be helpful:
Setup the following on your machine if you want to catch up after the session and have some quick hands-on experience:
- MAMP (Mac) / LAMP (Linux) / XAMPP (Windows)
- Composer (global installation preferred)
Shweta is working as a Quality Assurance Engineer and has over 11 years of experience in the QA industry. She is a strong advocate of open source tools and technologies and believes strongly in giving back to the community. She has conducted several in-house training, workshops and webinars at Axelerant along with public speaking / training experience as below:
Presented a session at DrupalCampPune 2017
Presented a session at DrupalCampLondon 2018
Trainer at DrupalConNA https://events.drupal.org/nashville2018/training/automated-testing-using-behat-mink-and-drupal-extension