Reaching your highest potential in a chaotic environment
While working on our daily tasks in agile teams, we quite often have this feeling where we are working on multiple tasks all day long and at the end of day when we review our work, we realize we haven’t accomplished anything concrete. The main reason for this is, our work environments are filled with distractions from having unnecessary and unproductive meetings to people constantly checking their messages on phones, emails and slack channels. As a result, we feel demotivated, less productive and burnt out by the end of the day. Burnout is a serious issue and is attributed to a lot of mental and health issues. I was one such person who after working around the clock and helping people 24/7 ended up getting admitted to the hospital. How do we prevent this repetitive cycle from happening on a daily basis? This is where mindfulness and productivity hacks can help.
In this talk, I will share my real life experiences from experimenting with different mindfulness and productivity hacks which ended up helping me get more focus, regain my mental and physical health and most of all made me fall in love with technology all over again. Some of these hacks include doing deep work, different tips and tricks to prioritize tasks, deal with emails, make meetings more productive, effective engagement with remote teams and much more. Come join my journey and become the best version of yourself.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- Types of problems that cause burnout
- Share my experiences with burnout
- Different productivity and mindfulness hacks to prevent burnout
Outline of the talk with time split-
Part 1- Introduction to the topic - 10 mins
- How I came up with this topic
- 2 books that influenced the way I am thinking and made me start this journey
- Deep Work
- Procrastinate on Purpose
- Explain how to do deep work and use a concept called "focus funnel" to do intentional and focused work on the top priority items
Part 2- Productivity Hacks - 15 mins
- How to plan your week and day using a concept called "Time Blocks"
- How to have productive meetings backed by science and my own experience, I cover how Amazon and other successful companies hold meetings to give more insights
- How to handle email clutter
- Different strategies to makes sure you attend to different follow ups at work. Will discuss how to effectively set reminders, prepare task list etc.
- The secrets of doing work early before office hours and being productive doing remote work
Part 3 - Mindfulness Hacks - 15 minutes
- What is Mindfulness and why it is important?
- How I practice it to produce high quality work in short periods of time backed by real stories from me
- Different strategies to do more focused work using mindfulness such as focus/de-focus intervals, mindful tech at work, different tools to use for better focus
Part 4- Social Hacks - 5 mins
- Different strategies to get to know you and your team at a personal level
- How to create lasting bonds with people
- How to become more approachable and better team player
- Learn from my story of different experiments I did with Mindfulness and Productivity
- Types of distractions we face in our current environment and how to avoid them
- Real life proven tools, tips and tricks to hack your way into becoming more mindful and productive
Anyone working in Tech
Prerequisites for Attendees