Coaching Millennials - Skills needed for Agile Coach
Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y, are the generational demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z who were born in early 1980s. Millennials are currently 25% of APAC workforcea and not only that, Millennials now have the most spending power of any generation, which means that creating a work environment that they can thrive in matters more than ever.
Let's see some of the interesting charcateristics of millennial,
- They send a median of 50 texts a day.
- Socially connected:
- They have the highest average number of Facebook friends, with an average of 250 friends vs. Generations X's 200.
- In the age of information overload, millennials are able to consume and assimilate more information than ever.
- Tech Savvy:
- With an internet enabled smartphone, they spend roughly around 4 hours per day consuming the online content through app or browsers.
and much more. As more and more millennials enter the workforce and redefine the workplace productivity, how can organization and agile coaches prepare themselves to nurture and coach the millennials to realize organization/project goals and deliver value to business?
I will also talk about the challenges while dealing the millennials (as compared to Gen X workers who were managed from top-down), coaching models, skills that can help agile coaches to maximize the potential of the millennials, exploiting the characteristics of the millennials to improve productivity and do's and don't while coaching millennials.
I've presented this in one of the PlayScrum Meetups Chennai as well and have received awesome repsonse from the participants.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
Presentation will be on the below agenda:
- (5 mins) Introduction and personality traits of millennials
- (5 mins) Evolution of behaviors @ workplace
- (5 mins) Coaching challenges
- (5 mins) Skills needed for Agile coach
- (10 mins) Coaching models and frameworks
- (5 mins) Coaching techniques, do's and don't while coaching millennials
- (5 mins) Things that Organizations can do
- (5 mins) Q&A?
- Able to understand millennials charcateristics
- Learn about the workplace behaviors about different generations and millennials
- Learn about different skills needed for coaching millennial generation
- Techniques on coaching millennials
- Learn about the agile coaching models tailored for millennials.
- Do's and Dont's while coaching millennials
Scrum Master, Agile Coaches, Project Managers, Program Managers, Business Leaders
Prerequisites for Attendees
- Exposure to Agile and Coaching
- Exposure to millennial work culture