Product Backlog Refinement - The UnSung "Hero"
When we speak of Scrum framework, the 3-3-5 structure is imbibed in our memories. The 3 roles, 3 Artifacts and 5 events are known to all. When we talk of processes, learnings, improvements, most of the teams confine themselves within the limits of 3-3-5. How many of us realize Product Backlog Refinement lays the foundation of the Release/Sprint planning. Do teams really give the right importance to PBR, or do they feel it distracts them from the their current sprint work? How can PBR be more effective and help teams plan better, be more predictable, help in being more productive, and encourage the teams to take calculated risks when needed - these are few of the things we would discuss during the session.
We conducted with more than 40+ Scrum Masters across the globe in one of the organizations I was associated with, to collect the challenges w.r.t PBR. During this session, we will discuss those practical challenges, and tried and tested recommendations.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
1. A brief overview of PBR
2. Top 5 Real Time Challenges (Collected Through Survey)
3. Recommendations for each challenge (Tried and Tested)
4. Best Practices (Collected from 30+ different teams)
1. Practical challenges some of which teams might not have realized
2. Tried and tested recommendations for effective PBR session
3. Recommended PBR checklist
4. General best practices
Scrum Masters, Developers, Product Owners, Agile Coaches
Prerequisites for Attendees
Basic knowledge of Scrum Framework