Impact of Scrum Master's Personality on project success
The Scrum Master plays an important role in directly impacting direction, progress and ultimately the success of a project. The Scrum Master is expected to play the roles of a process owner, problem solver and protector in a project and these require them to showcase certain capabilities and actions during the lifetime of the project. The personality of the individual playing the role of the Scrum Master has a huge impact on playing these roles which will ultimately impact project success. I will discuss the 'Big 5 personality traits' and critically examine how these traits will impact the effectiveness of a Scrum Master in an Agile project.
Outline/Structure of the Hands on Session
Introduction to the role of a Scrum Master in terms of the 3Ps; Problem Solver, Protector, Process Owner
The responsibilities of a Scrum Master within these 3 roles, towards the product owner, implementation team, executive leadership and other stakeholders
An introduction to the Big 5 Personality traits with an explanation of characteristics of each personality type.
I will be talking about the OCEAN model of Personality (Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness and Neuroticism) but with my own twist to the presentation. Please refer the link (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1j0LjkjmB4VwbOAC5nFwEuupo37EqYPoI-tXTePGyu2Y/edit#slide=id.g4e4647f80c_0_52) to get a better understanding about my proposal (refer the high level speaker notes that I have added).
The impact of the Scrum Master having each of these types of personality traits
Please refer to the slides linked to this proposal and the speaker's notes within the slides to get additional information about the speech.
For Team Members
- The importance of understanding his or her personality
- Important tips and tricks on how to realize one's personality
- Understanding on how personality can impact him or her when playing the role of a Scrum Master
For Scrum Masters
- A guide to understanding his / her personality type and an understanding of the effects it may have on the implementation team, other stakeholders and on the project activities
For Executive leadership / Resource management
- An understanding of the need to ascertain the personality traits of each individual playing the role of a Scrum Master and using it as a direction when assigning Scrum Masters
- Developing ways to identify personalities, identify ways to nurture or make the best use of certain personalities through proper allocation of projects, training etc.
Scrum Masters, Implementation Team Members, Program Managers, Executive Leadership, Resource Management