A to Z of Internationalizing your Eclipse and testing challenges
"A person who speaks two languages is called bilingual. A person who speaks three languages is called trilingual. So what do you call someone who speaks/understands any language? ..called Multilingual" as such products called globalized products. Today, providing a software product solely in English is no longer acceptable from a usability, quality, marketing, and in some cases, legal standpoint. Enabling your product for the world market simply makes product reachable to all.
Outline/structure of the Session
This session talks about understanding & importance of Internationalization and localization. Also explains about implementation & testing of I18N aspects in eclipse based products.
- Move translatable strings into *.properties files
- Separate presentation-dependent parameters
- Use proper locale-sensitive data formatting, substitutions APIs
- Test in domestic language
- Create initial translated plug-in fragment
- Prepare and send domestic language materials for translation
- Repackage and validate translated materials
- I18N UI testing tips
Key takeaways are:
- Complete understanding on I18N concepts and terminology.
- Implementation in Eclipse.
- Techniques for testing
First-level developers, QA