The Promise of Ratpack - Bringing the power of Functional Programming to JVM Web Development
Ratpack is a light-weight framework for developing web applications and web APIs. It is a Java 8 framework with Groovy DSL support. Ratpack is built on the concepts of asynchronous and non-blocking programming model and lazy by default. Ratpack is also one one of the reactive streams compliant system. In this demo, I will be exploring the power of Promise construct, which is the heart of Ratpack and provides functional programming capabilities.
Outline/structure of the Session
- Introduction to Ratpack - 5 min
- Ratpack asynchronous execution model with Promise - 5 min
- Promises are everywhere and lazy - 10 min
- Functional operations with Promises - 10 min
- Serial and Parallel batch of promises - 10 min
- Q&A - 5 min
- Developers with web app/API development background and the basic understanding of functional programming will walk away with a tool that will help them to combine the power of the two in building HTTP applications.
- Food for thought on how to leverage asynchronous and non-blocking techniques in HTTP apps that are resource efficient.
Developers, Architects, Technologists