Using F# in production: a retrospective
We (ClearTax) build a full product in F#, and it's been in production for two years now. This talk will cover our learnings from building this product – what we did well and what went wrong. We will discuss the joys and the challenges that come with using a functional language day-in and day-out.
I want to share our journey, so the community can learn from our experiences and we can get feedback from the experts as well.
Outline/structure of the Session
- Why we chose F# in the first place
- The initial excitement period
- Rookie mistakes made :)
- Deciding to keep things simple
- Cautiously applying more advanced concepts of the language (like computation expressions) as we gained more experience
- Issues with third party libraries, with tooling
- Highlighting the areas where F# really shines for us (with code samples)
You can learn from our experience building a user-visible product fully in a functional language, and apply it to your own projects.
If you are a functional programming enthusiast, but haven't ever used your favourite language in production, anyone who wants to learn from our experience. If you are deciding whether to use a functional language for your next project, and want to go in f