IT has embraced agility ... what about the rest of the business?Jesus Mendez
schedule 8 months agoSold Out!
3.5 years ago Seedbox Technologies decided to embrace agile methodologies as its way to develop web based products, get them out faster, survive and thrive competition.
It's all started in a traditional fashion: external consultants were hired to teach employees the agile mindset and how to use agile methodologies like Scrum and Kanban when developing web based products. Project Managers got trained and became Product Owners, experienced Scrum Masters were hired to get development teams to their highest level of performance as fast as they could, developers got trained and developed experience around their team development processes, engineering managers supported agility across the company, and stakeholders directly involved in product development got invited to collaborate with software development teams through agile processes, once they got fully implemented.
That's right, Engineering got agile quite right but by doing so:
- What happen with the rest of the organization?
- What about peoples mindset?
- Is them vs Us or vice versa?
- Are they able to collaborate, inspect and adapt like the engineering teams and people related to agile projects do?
- How do we get everyone in the organization to communicate when we don't share the same vocabulary?
- How do we fill the gap and avoid old management treats get in the way of the companies transition to something bigger than just the teams?
- Shall we wait until they realize that we all need to change or shall we help them get there?
- How do we use are know-how to turn this mess into a big opportunity for the organization to grow?
- Do we need help?
Well, if this experience report gets accepted, I will share what I've learned about:
- The challenges & flaws that we faced when transitioning from team based agility to organizational agility
- Some of my reflections as an inside observer
- How to use the lessons learned as a wake up call
- What can be done to help the organization to thrive
Let's walk together through a nurturing experience report that might ignite your sens and get you inspired to give the extra mille!