Quality Without QA - Keeping the Bar High
What if your entire QA department stopped testing? How would you ensure the quality of your product without dedicated QA people?
This is a story from the trenches of a company doing just that - keeping the bar high, without QA.
As a former QA Director, the notion of developing software without dedicated QA team members sounded, well, crazy. Who's going to write the test cases? Who will maintain the automation suite? Who will save the team from themselves? In time, I came to discover the answers to those questions.
In this session, we will learn about the practices, culture and organizational design that allows EventMobi to build, ship and improve products that are used by millions of delighted users - without dedicated QA.
We will also explore a possible sequel to this story: The Rise of the Quality Coach!
Note: This talk is loosely based on a blog post which can be found here: Quality without QA — How EventMobi keeps the bar high
Outline/structure of the Session
- The more things change, the more they stay the same - The impact of Agile on the "Tester" role
- Ownership By Design - Empowering people to produce less trash
- Culture + Process - Keeping the bar High without QA
- Challenges - It’s not all Rainbows & Unicorns
1) How to bake quality into your products through organizational design
2) How to achieve a sense of shared ownership of quality
3) Technical Practices that are required to enable this type of organizational design
4) The future of the “Tester” role
Anyone responsible for Organizational Design: Engineering managers, senior leadership, agile coaches, scrum masters, testers