Facilitation ≅ Coaching @ Scale
Everyone is doing it! Not very good at it though. If you ask them, every single one of them tells you they are great at it. I am talking about Facilitation!
Everyone is thinking they are doing it. Many of them have an idea about it, maybe through word of mouth. The funny thing is that everyone is claiming to be great at it. This time, I am talking about Coaching!
Facilitation is what we do on a daily basis, no matter what our roles are. If we are talking to more than one person, we are probably using some facilitation techniques. People that are working with teams use that more often. Facilitation is a human centric activity. It gets more complicated and more complex by the number of people involved, and that's not the only factor. There are many factors involved in that.
Coaching is not something we necessarily do on a daily basis unless you are a coach; and a coach by heart. It is very easy to call yourself one and not be one. It is hard to be a coach. Coaching is a deliberate stance we take. In coaching, depending on your client's situation, you use different tools and techniques.
In their core, Coaching and Facilitation are not very different. One is mostly focused at a person's personal level, and one at a group's personal level. When you look at the group as one entity, you can apply techniques and tools for both. Similar to the scaling challenges you might have encountered, you can not necessarily apply the exact same techniques and tools to the bigger picture. However, you can rely back on the pillars of Coaching, Facilitation and vice versa.
Shahin is a passionate Coach and an enthusiast Facilitator. Please join him for a session to talk about Coaching and Facilitation; the techniques that we can use and apply no matter who and how many people are we interacting with. Let him share with you his personal coaching & facilitation experiences, and through that to help you identify your own unique charismatic stance of Coaching and Facilitation.
Outline/structure of the Session
- Introduction and discussion to Facilitation and Coaching
- Introduction and discussion on Tools and Techniques used for Facilitation and Coaching
- Facilitation and Coaching techniques and tools similarities and differences
- When to use which
- How to switch between them
- Experiment (Simulation) with your learnings from this session to realize your unique style of Coaching and Facilitation
- Deep(er) understanding of coaching and facilitation and their interconnectivity
- New way of approaching challenges at work and/or in your personal life
- Understanding your unique style of Coaching and Facilitation
Scrum Masters, Agile Coaches, People Managers, Leaders, Facilitators