Business Process Testing in Insurance Domain
Business Process Testing (BPT) is a role based automated and /or manual testing approach for validating end to end business processes. In this, the test strategy, the test design, test execution and test data management are aligned by business processes.
BPT aligns testing with business objectives and dramatically reduces test cycle time by leveraging business subjects matter experts (SME’s) in the test design and quality optimization process. It also extols confidence in the team that the essential and critical business process are functioning correctly. Business Process Testing introduces the concept of reusable business components for test design. A test component can be a feature, function or an activity in an application screen.
It is built in QTP automation framework and used in conjunction with the HP Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) . Business Process Testing with HP Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) enables non-technical Subject matter experts (SME) to design and work with business components in a script free environment and to create an application-quality business process tests. This approach allows the SMEs to create BPT in ALM without even opening QTP. BPT allows the testing teams to start the test design process much earlier, during system design and hence accelerating the time-to-deployment for high-quality software.
BPT promotes major reduction in change management efforts and changes can be easily incorporated, these are a few of the advantages to count. Components easily blend with change if the idea of reusable blocks is implemented properly. This helps the business to drastically reduce the effort and time for test maintenance and also helps to improve the test efficiency for test creation. Business Impact of application changes is hence, well understood by the tester and aids them in quality testing.
Business Process Testing is gaining a lot of attention not just among testing fraternity but other professionals too. This white paper presents a brief overview of the HP Business Process Testing concept and its advantages for business and test teams. It provides an insight into the implementation and innovative approach of Business Process Testing using Component Based Testing for a model Insurance Project. Aligning testing with business process flow was never so easy. With BPT, we can attain parallel test coverage of functionalities and business process. All that needs to be done after creating business blocks is just choose the right building blocks and you are good to go.
Outline/structure of the Session
Reusability is the buzzword in the industry. However, in testing, it is very difficult to achieve reuse when it comes to automating the steps written for test cases. Even manual testing is a tedious task when it comes to coverage of end to end business flow. By encouraging design tests early in the project lifecycle, the business process testing (BPT) framework introduces reuse to testing environments.
This paper aims at highlighting the following points:
- How to increase reusability using the BPT framework.
- How is BPT framework different and efficient than traditional testing
- How to reduce rework using the BPT.
- How to reduce major work load and enhance productivity.
- How to form reusable components in BPT for a model Insurance project.
The objective of the paper is to outline an innovative approach of making component building more effective for long term reusability and testing friendly for both Automation engineers and Subject matter experts. An initial effort in setting up business components in BPT gives long term benefits. This paper is an attempt to emphasize on the fact that BPT is not just a new technology but an easier and efficient way of testing.
Learning from BPT implementation would consist of below points:
- Understand how to avoid the costs of software defects and reap the rewards of consistently excellent applications and web services after implementing BPT
- Understand how to increases the productivity of subject matter experts and test engineers alike by leaps and bound.
- Understand to reuse a same component throughout hundreds of test cases, No more re-writing the same test case from scratch.
- Understand how to cut the time and effort spent on test maintenance by implementing BPT.
- For Enterprises, they would gain a competitive edge over competitors that are still doing things the primitive, slow and cost intensive way.
Testers and BA