Launching Teams: A Workshop
Forming, or Launching, a new Agile Team is a critical step that is very often skipped due to lack of knowledge, time pressure or just eagerness to get on with work as soon as possible. This workshop discusses and demonstrates the importance of taking the time to launch teams and provides hand-on knowledge on how to Form a Team. This technique has been used by several organizations in the US and Australia. The last being the 2nd largest bank in Australia launching teams in an organization of 4500 people.
Outline/Structure of the Workshop
During this session we will take people through the first five practices of our delivery team transformation road map. People will be asked to form teams and will provide a 'vision statement' . We will guide them through the first five practices using our gemPowers Knowledge Base and team self-assessment tool. Please see presentation deck for screen shots of the tool we will be using. This session helps people understand how to use a road map, agreed expectations and short, self-assessed feedback loops to help launch teams on their journey to new ways of work.
- Break into teams and provide "Vision Statement" (5 min)
- Discuss the importance of Forming a Team and assign roles (5 min)
- Team purpose, working agreement, new member onboarding (5min)
- Intake Work (5min)
- Manage Work (5min)
- Delivery Team Event Schedule (5min)
- Manage Backlog (5min)
At the end of the session attendees will be able to:
- Understand and articulate the importance of forming a team.
- Understand and articulate why it is important for teams to agree on how work comes into the team.
- Understand and agree to how the team will manage their work.
- Understand and articulate why it is important to create an events schedule and the norms for the events.
Coaches, Scrum Masters, Product Owners and Agile team members
Prerequisites for Attendees
Basic knowledge of agile principles and practices.