The Trend is your Friend - meaningful forecasting for agile teams
In this talk I will speak about the reasons why traditional project estimation and planning is misaligned with some of the problems that we are trying to solve in technology. I'll talk about where we've gone wrong with agile estimation and forecasting, and introduce some basic forecasting techniques that are used to give predictability to complex problems in other domains.
Come along to learn about:
- How to measure and improve the predictability of your delivery (without losing agility)
- How you can use historic data to generate powerful forecasts of your future progress.
- Practical tools and techniques to get you started.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
20 minutes: Slideware on the subject of forecasting
20 minutes: Demonstration of how to evaluate team predictability and then forecast future progress using two approaches:
- Mazzlo - a SaaS analytics and forecasting tool for JIRA created by one of the speakers
- Creative-Commons licenced spreadsheets
Learn why traditional project estimation and reporting is misaligned with some of the problems we solve with technology
Gain an understanding of the value of past data and how it can be used to predict the future
Learn some simple statistical techniques for generating forecasts in complex domains
Learn about tools for making forecasting really easy
Learn about the challenges with forecasting based on past data.
Scrum Masters, Product Owners/Managers, Project Managers. Anyone who wants both predictability and agility from their delivery.