So you want to work on a product team?
Working on a software product team can be quite a terrifying experience for new employees, especially when you are a round peg in the square holes.
A year go, I landed in the biggest tech company in town as a non-technical person on a technical team. Looking back on a year full of adventures and scary challenges, I’m here to share with you:
- What to expect in the world of code, API, kanban, MVP and DevOps
- The candid (sometimes, painful) lessons on how individuals can prepare for, survive and thrive in this kind of environment
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- What it is like to develop product the “MYOB” way
- Life in a software development team: team setup, roles & responsibilities and how we get s**t done
- Case study: how a small agile team builds and grows a gaming-changing compliance solution for our 1.2 million customers
- Opportunities and challenges for a non-technical person on a product team
- How does your company approach product development? How have you contributed to a technology project as a non-technical Person?
- What I have learned about fitting in the hard way
- Recap: survival kit for transitioning and thriving in a scary place of tech madness
- In your experience, what worked? What didn’t? And why?
- An understanding of how big tech companies approach agile product development
- An understanding of how individuals can contribute to the development process
- Understanding of what to expect when starting out on a product team
- Tips for transitioning/thriving in a product team
Anyone who is bold enough to give software development a crack
Prerequisites for Attendees
This is an entry level talk and you do not require any prior technical knowledge to attend.
Just an open mind and a willingness to share your story!