Code with the wisdom of the crowd - Get Better Together with Mob Programming
Build systems faster and more effectively with Mob Programming.
Mob Programming is an approach to developing software that radically reduces defects and key-person dependencies by having a group of people work together at a single machine. It is a natural extension of Pair Programming and is not restricted to a specific programming language or technology.
In this session Mark shares his 4 year journey with Mob Programming, what's worked, what hasn't and why you should consider embracing mobbing in your team.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
Introduction - 5 minutes
* How I was first exposed to Mob Programming by doing Team Tourism
* What is Mob Programming
The Roles & Responsibilities - 10 minutes
* What are the roles in Mob Programming
* 3 Responsibilities for the the typist
* 3 Responsibilities for the rest of the mob
How it works and what it looks like in real life - 5 minutes
* Protocol for interacting with people & mantra of Mob Programming
* Mechanics of Mob Programming in real life
* What to do when only 1 person in the mob knows whats going on
* What to do when nobody in the mob knows whats going on
Is this a productive way of working - 5 minutes
* How do you measure developer productivity and why is this hard.
* What impacts developer productivity - [Audience Participation]
Multitasking & People Focus - 5 minutes
* How multitasking is reduced when Mob Programming
* What is the impact of Mob Programming to WIP limits
* Examine focus levels of people working separately vs. working together
* The true lifespan of measuring the impact of quality
Is this just an expensive form of Pair Programming - 5 minutes
* What studies has concluded is the ideal size for tackling complex problems
* Two other differences between Mob Programming & pair programming to consider
The impact of waiting for information - 5 minutes
* How Mob Programming reduces waiting for information
The importance of physical space while Mob Programming - 5 minutes
* What sort of hardware you need
What will we be doing in 10 years time - 5 minutes
Going beyond Pair Programming, flow models, collaboration
Anyone in a team who is involved in the development process, primarily focus is developers but can apply to QA's, BA's etc.
Prerequisites for Attendees